Poké Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UU + Gengar Team in OU

2 posters

Go down

UU + Gengar Team in OU Empty UU + Gengar Team in OU

Post by Orange Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:57 am

So I made this team that's UU + Gengar that I wanted to use in OU, and it's been working fairly well, so I wanted to hear your opinions!

My team:

Spoiler:

Thought Process:

UU + Gengar Team in OU Aerodactyl-mega
First, I really wanted to try out M-Aerodactyl which was in UU for some reason, even though it looks scary. So I put it there, and I made it based around hone claw, so I can STAB most mons with stone edge, and since enemy would predict standard eq set, I decided to try out all the low-accuracy moves, such as aqua tail and iron tail, as aqua tail was good for countering defensive gliscor, which got on my nerves several times, as well as Iron tail countering any rock type along with chance of decreasing def, unlike eq.

UU + Gengar Team in OU 250px-680Doublade
Then, I wanted a safe switch into any steel type STAB, since steel type can murder my aerodactyl, and in UU, the first thing that came into my mind was doublade, so I decided to go with it. This thing, with eviolite, can cause quite some scary havoc, especially with its availability to use swords dance + shadow sneak/sacred sword or simple toxic stall

UU + Gengar Team in OU 250px-671Florges
Another thing my team was weak to was water types, and one of the most common water types in OU is Keldeo. Now, in case you did not know, forges' sp. def is scary, so I decided to use this to my advantage.
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Florges: 105-124 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
By giving it absorb bulb, it forces keldeo to switch, and if it decides to stay in and try hydro pump, forges will get a sp. atk boost, thus fainting the keldeo, removing a threat.

UU + Gengar Team in OU 250px-579Reuniclus
Then I've got my lovely reuniclus, boasting amazing sp. atk in exchange for its speed.
As you can see, I gave it trick room and specs, and the reason is, if I can get a safe switch, my 3 attacking moves should be enough with choice specs. So, I decided to put trick room for doublade if I ever had a need to do so. And it came useful several times, when it forced the opponent to switch out or deal small damage! It also does scary damage with specs + psyshock STAB!

UU + Gengar Team in OU 250px-392Infernape
Now, my last problem was set-up bulks. If the enemy had x4 def and x4 sp. def that came poisoning me, it'd be hard for me to deal with it. Of course, I have gengar, but that was the last pokemon I chose. So, I decided to try out this interesting set. With scope and focus energy, I can crit every time, allowing me to pretty much overheat again and again. Now there are several types that resist fire-types (hence why draco meteor is more common), thus I added focus energy and grass knot. I added grass knot since it has base power 60 on azumarill anyway (not that it can stay for azumarill), and could deal more to other pokemons like ttar and hippowdon, at least more than hidden powers. I also got Focus Blast to flat out destory rock-types. Now, only types that resists all three types is dragon-flying (as far as I'm aware) which is fairly rare with one exception: dragonite. Thankfully, my doublade, and florges if outraged, can deal with dragonite so that's all well! Smile

UU + Gengar Team in OU 250px-094Gengar
Finally I've got my gengar!
I put this pokemon as a non-setup special sweeper, since I was lacking one.
Of course, infernape's overheat can pretty much take care of a lot of things, but gengar's ability to wreck without having to set-up (like infernape's focus energy) is amazing. I really needed one, and I felt like I really needed this guy in my team. Also, since I was building around Mega Aerodactyl, I did not feel as if I needed any more physical sweepers, so I decided to stick with gengar. Its moveset is fairly obvious.

What do you guys think? Tell me where I can improve!
Orange
Orange
Administrator
Administrator

PokéCash : 41

Back to top Go down

UU + Gengar Team in OU Empty Re: UU + Gengar Team in OU

Post by MelonSquid Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm not sure how attached you are to having Gengar be be the only OU pokemon. If you are okay with having more OU pokemon, I have some awesome suggestions for you

1: Keldeo over Doublade
Your reasoning for Doublade was that it could switch into steel STAB, which was bad news for Aero. however, the most common OU Steel type attacker is Scizor. While at first glance Doublade disposes of Scizor easily, this is not always the case as Scizor often runs knock off. Doublade without eviolite defeats the point of it in the first place. In addition, Doublade looses to common Aerodactyl answers such as Rotom-W, some Scizor, Landorus-T, (who takes less than 45% from aqua tail) and Hippowdon (also takes less than 50% most of the time).

Keldeo, however, can switch into steel attacks and demolishes every aforementioned pokemon except for Rotom-W, who is still 2HKOed by Secret Sword after Stealth Rocks. Mega Aero also removes Talonflame, mega Pinsir, Mega Lopunny, Amoongus, Mega Venusaur, and Tornadus T, who all ruin Keldeo's day.

2: Something not named Florges:
If you feel you are weak to keldeo, Florges is not a counter (at least with that spread):
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Florges: 142-168 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 142-168 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Also, while Florges might have an okay match-up vs Keldeo, it looses to Azumarill who is also a common threat:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 246-289 (68.3 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 219-258 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Instead, try something like Amoonguss. Amoonguss can Switch into every Keldeo, and completely stops Azumarill.

3: Aerial Ace on Aerodactyl
Also, one of Mega Aerodactyl's greatest perks is that it checks Keldeo, and bulky grass types not named Ferrothorn. However, your aerodactyl cannot do so since it doesn't run Aerial Ace. The move may be pathetically weak, but it is backed by tough claws and stab, and is needed to check the pokemon Aero needs to check. I would remove Iron tail. It is terribly unreliable without a hone claws, and fairy types are already checked by Gengar (and amoonguss if you choose to run it)

4: Entry hazard remover
Every team should have one of these, in my oppinion. However, you have extra need for one as Aero is weak to Stealth Rocks.

5: Stealth rock user
Again, I feel every team needs a stealth rock setter. It provides anything from free chip damage to massive, crippling hits.

6: Second Bird check
Talonflame is such a huge threat to unprepared teams. Every team needs a stop to it. Mega aero can check talonflame, but cannot switch in reliably. try adding a second Talonflame stop. suggestions include:
Rotom-W
Landorus-T with Rocky helmet (also sets up rocks)
Heatran (also sets up rocks)

7: Not that Infernape
I understand being afraid of setup pokemon, but there are better ways to deal with them, such as roar/whirlwind/Dragon Tail, Clear Smog(amoonguss)/Haze, taunt, or just continued offensive pressure. Infernape is unable to reliably set up a focus energy on many opponents anyways.

I would consider removing Infernape completely. Keldeo would help this team so much, as would Amoonguss. However, they are both slaughtered by Talonflame. In order to avoid having 3 pokemon weak to flying type attacks which dominate the OU tier, you need to either not use amoongus or remove Infernape.

If you are set on having Infernape, discard Amoongus. However, if you keep infernape, I would use a simple life orb attacking set.
MelonSquid
MelonSquid
Administrator
Administrator

PokéCash : 54

Back to top Go down

UU + Gengar Team in OU Empty Re: UU + Gengar Team in OU

Post by Orange Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:02 pm

It's working great! Thank you! :p
Orange
Orange
Administrator